Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 1:26 pm

Post subject: Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-07 9:38 pm 

This is my Drana deck. I am looking for suggestions, specifically to replace Mephidross Vampire, which doesn't seem to be good enough without Triskelion, which I am not running. I would welcome any other suggestions, but please bear in mind that this is strictly vampire tribal. No non-vampire creatures will be considered.

Basic game plan is to win through combat, either with general damage or horde o' bloodsuckers. Backup plans are Exsanguinate plus other synergies (Blood Artist/Falkenrath Noble + sac outlet type stuff).

Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief

Creatures (29):
Viscera Seer
Guul Draz Assassin
Blood Artist
Kalastria Highborn
Vampire Hexmage
Dark Impostor
Captivating Vampire
Vampire Nighthawk
Adaptive Automaton
Drana, Liberator of Malakir
Bloodline Keeper
Sangromancer
Vampire Nocturnus
Falkenrath Noble
Sanctum Seeker
Twilight Prophet
Malakir Bloodwitch
Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
Fiend of the Shadows
Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Bloodline Necromancer
Ascendant Evincar
Nirkana Revenant
Necropolis Regent
Patron of the Vein
Thief of Blood
Chancellor of the Dross
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
Butcher of Malakir

Artifacts (15):
Expedition Map
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Blade of the Bloodchief
Swiftfoot Boots
Thought Vessel
Extraplanar Lens
Commander's Sphere
Lashwrithe
Hedron Archive
Coat of Arms
Gauntlet of Power
Dreamstone Hedron
Caged Sun
Argentum Armor

Planeswalkers (2):
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Sorin Markov

Instants (1):
Silence the Believers

Sorceries (13):
Reanimate
Demonic Tutor
Beseech the Queen
Diabolic Tutor
Damnation
Patriarch's Bidding
Beacon of Unrest
Living Death
Increasing Ambition
Kindred Dominance
Decree of Pain
Exsanguinate
Diabolic Revelation

Lands (39):
Dark Depths
Thespian Stage
Cabal Coffers
Bojuka Bog
Barren Moor
Strip Mine
Crypt of Agadeem
Mutavault
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Path of Ancestry
Cabal Stronghold
27 Swamps

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2019-Feb-10 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
AgePosted: 2012-Jul-08 5:44 am 

I've had pretty good success with Bloodhusk Ritualist, though it's pretty mean once you're making someone pitch their hand. Mirri the Cursed and Nirkana Cutthroat are also passable critters.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-08 7:35 pm 

First strike & deathtouch are an evil combo. Good thought.

How dickish would Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond be? I know obvious combo is obvious.

Considering Increasing Ambition as well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-09 8:01 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
First strike & deathtouch are an evil combo. Good thought.
There are only 4 creatures that can natively have that combination. It's weird with trample (because 1 damage is 'lethal damage', the rest tramples over). Anyway, Nirkana Cutthroat has a huge mana investment (you're looking at 12 mana for a 5/4 deathtouch/first strike), but black often can make it happen with coffers. For your deck, I would absolutely play it, because you're already playing into a big-mana game for your general.

Quote:
How dickish would Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond be? I know obvious combo is obvious.
I tend not to play infinite combos in black because there are so many tutors. You may find you just tutor for those pieces and something like Leechridden Swamp every game. It will probably make your games less exciting/fun.

Quote:
Considering Increasing Ambition as well.
This card is a boss if you can afford to pay. Again, considering your use of mana doublers, coffers, etc., this card is definitely worth your while, I think.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-09 8:45 am 

I have a vamp tribal deck and I found Guul Draz Assassin, while seemingly awesome, really sucked. I sadly had to cut him. I also can't imagine Nirkana Cutthroat being any good for similar reasons (especially when it's a worse card). Mirri is awesome though.

Skeletal Vampire can be nice or terrible. I'm always back and forth on that guy. It's nice to be able to block something, and sac/create 2 more tokens, and it's also nice to have a mana dump, but he and his ability is so pricey.

I found the curve of the deck to be hard for me (I'm playing Grixis though - Garza). I ended up cutting high CMC guys that didn't carry enough weight like Chancellor of the Dross. I actually added guys like Vampire Interloper for low CMC guys that can just get out there. He's better than you think and has nice synergy with Captivating Vamp, Bloodlord of Vaasgoth, and Bloodline Keeper.

I've also always found Dreamstone Hedron to be disappointing.

Is there anything besides Bloodghast that you can use with Skullclamp?

Scata Scyth is nice in aggro mono-color decks. Nightmare Lash is another version of Lashwrithe.

I also wonder how much mana Crypt of Agadeem will net you over the game, or if another swamp would be better.

Do you gain enough life in this deck to run Sanguine Bond? I understand the combo with Exquisite Blood, which is in my deck, though I dislike those kinds of combos. I like Exquisite Blood because people will lose life and it has a vamp on the art.

Blood Tribute is amazing and shouldn't be underestimated.

I run Spread the Sickness in my deck, but it's also because I have a number of counter-generators. If you don't have a critical mass, I wouldn't bother, but it does also work well with your planeswalkers.

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-09 1:29 pm 

shmebula wrote:
Is there anything besides Bloodghast that you can use with Skullclamp?

I run 3 walking sac outlets and Haunted Crossroads. Obviously Bloodghast is the most efficient way.

shmebula wrote:
Do you gain enough life in this deck to run Sanguine Bond? I understand the combo with Exquisite Blood, which is in my deck, though I dislike those kinds of combos. I like Exquisite Blood because people will lose life and it has a vamp on the art.

Good point.

shmebula wrote:
Skeletal Vampire can be nice or terrible. I'm always back and forth on that guy. It's nice to be able to block something, and sac/create 2 more tokens, and it's also nice to have a mana dump, but he and his ability is so pricey.

Tokens are clampable, and he has nice synergy with Butcher of Malakir. Skeletal is high on the list of "things that I'd cut for something more awesome".

shmebula wrote:
Blood Tribute is amazing and shouldn't be underestimated.

shmebula wrote:
I've also always found Dreamstone Hedron to be disappointing.

I've had the opposite experience. I'm usually happy to have the dreamstone, but the Blood Tribute I was usually not excited to see unless I had Sanguine Bond, so it got cut.

shmebula wrote:
I also wonder how much mana Crypt of Agadeem will net you over the game, or if another swamp would be better.

Mainly there to provide a boost post-wrath. Should it be a swamp? Maybe. Maybe Leechridden Swamp?

shmebula wrote:
I have a vamp tribal deck and I found Guul Draz Assassin, while seemingly awesome, really sucked.

Could you elaborate? He's been pretty good for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-10 6:42 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
shmebula wrote:
I have a vamp tribal deck and I found Guul Draz Assassin, while seemingly awesome, really sucked.

Could you elaborate? He's been pretty good for me.

Interesting to hear. Maybe I should try him again.

My issues I had with him was he cost a lot of mana to level up, especially when I was already fighting a high curve (it's lower now). Couple that with the fact that he was considered a high threat, by the time I got him online, he was dead, and I lost a ton of tempo. I might try him again if I have some other high CMC stuff to cut since he fits one of my goals of low CMC vamp to get a critical mass on the board. I'm also running Coat of Arms, so it helps there too.

Leechridden Swamp is a card I like in decks like this. There's been plenty of times where I've seen someone totally on the ropes and at the mercy of the Leechridden Swamp player. If it wasn't a swamp, I'd always cut it, but it plays well here (and in my deck).

It's interesting to hear you had bad luck with Blood Tribute. Maybe I have better luck because I run more and lower CMC vamps?

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-10 7:19 am 

What about soul collector, paired with mephidross vampire, maybe a thornbite staff and death pits of rath nerf all your opponents critters they enter the battlefield as vamps under your control.

Or if this aint what you're looking for, then dont bother hahaha

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-10 7:57 pm 

thedarkheart wrote:
What about soul collector, paired with mephidross vampire, maybe a thornbite staff and death pits of rath nerf all your opponents critters they enter the battlefield as vamps under your control.

Or if this aint what you're looking for, then dont bother hahaha

I actually just cut both of those because they weren't doing anything for me.

shmebula wrote:
My issues I had with him was he cost a lot of mana to level up, especially when I was already fighting a high curve (it's lower now). Couple that with the fact that he was considered a high threat, by the time I got him online, he was dead, and I lost a ton of tempo.

I use a lot of levelers in my Brion Stoutarm deck, and my experience with them has been pretty positive. If there's something you'd rather invest your mana in, you just don't worry about leveling them right away, but they also let you use excess mana when you don't need it, or, ideally, increase the threat your board presents without investing additional cards. If someone's blowing a good spot removal spell on my one-drop, I consider that a win for me, because I'm going to untap and drop something much scarier. And if they DON'T kill it, I get to menace them with it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-19 5:50 am 

Necropolis Regent from RTR looks like a great replacement for Mephidross Vampire and it's preordering for around $2 so you'll be able to get it pretty cheap. It adds counters to creatures and is much stronger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-19 8:51 am 

And the Grave Betrayal from RTR. That thing is so nuts.

Here are the cards I would recommend based on my own vamp-tribal:

Sudden Spoiling
Dregs of Sorrow
Plague Wind
Mimic Vat
Jet Medallion
Door of Destinies
Phyrexian Arena
Intimidation

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-24 8:25 am 

If you don't own an Urborg, Strata Scythe (noted above) is potentially better than Lashwrithe; also Journeyer's Kite has done some good work for me in my Drana deck.

Also, I swear by Expedition Map and grim discovery in mono-black seeing as how Coffers is arguably the most important card in the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-25 4:01 pm 

The_Dr_B wrote:
And the Grave Betrayal from RTR. That thing is so nuts.

Here are the cards I would recommend based on my own vamp-tribal:

<snip>

Intimidation

Nice! I'd have pickedCover of Darkness way before Intimidation, especially if you're going pure or near-pure tribal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Oct-08 11:25 am 

Updated the list. Lots of good thoughts. Not sold on giving the team fear simply because I usually don't have much trouble attacking, but I will bear that in mind.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-09 11:08 pm 

Updated list - this deck didn't gain much from M14 or Theros block, but Mutavault and Nykthos are both sweet.

Offline Profile