Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-16 7:47 pm

Post subject: Mono white tribal angels!
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 4:32 am 

This is a very simple deck. It's a project i want to build irl (at the moment i play it only with cockatrice), and it's fun to play.

It's just a tribal angel deck, with a lot of cool angels with cool abilities. It can be a bit slow in the early game, but that's actually good when you play 4 player games, cause you don't look like a threat. Later in the game, you can just drop big angels and swing.

I want every creature in the deck to be an angel, to fit more the angel flavor

The Commander:
1 Radiant, Archangel I know there are better angels (Iona, Shield of Emeria, Avacyn, Angel of Hope) and also more flavorful angels (Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Reya Dawnbringer), but i wanted a good beater that didn't make me a "KILL ME" target. Remember, this guy is much better than it looks, cause it counts opponent's flyers too!

The Angels:
1 Admonition Angel
1 Aegis Angel
1 Angel of Jubilation
1 Angel of Serenity
1 Angelic Arbiter
1 Angelic Skirmisher
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Battlegrace Angel
1 Deathless Angel
1 Emeria Angel
1 Exalted Angel
1 Platinum Angel
1 Pristine Angel
1 Sublime Archangel
1 Sunblast Angel
1 Defy Death
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Guardian Seraph
1 Karmic Guide
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Serra Avenger
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Reya Dawnbringer
1 Archangel of Thune
1 Seraph of the Sword
1 Adarkar Valkyrie
1 Devout Invocation
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Hate & Removal:
1 Akroma's Vengeance
1 Rest in Peace
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Austere Command
1 Mass Calcify
1 Rout
1 Terminus
1 Oblation
1 Return to Dust
1 Condemn

Making Better Angels:
1 Door of Destinies
1 Akroma's Memorial
1 Marshal's Anthem
1 Champion's Helm
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Light from Within

Ramp:
1 Endless Horizons
1 Oath of Lieges
1 Pearl Medallion
1 Urza's Incubator
1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Land Tax
1 Caged Sun
1 Gauntlet of Power
1 Cloud Key

Card draw (sadly there's not a lot in white):
1 Mind's Eye
1 Pursuit of Knowledge
1 Scroll Rack
1 Staff of Nin

39 Lands:
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Kor Haven
1 Seraph Sanctuary
1 Mistveil Plains
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Homeward Path
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Winding Canyons
26 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Temple of the False God

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!*

*But please don't suggest angels, cause i already looked at all the angels with oracle.

-Jacques le Vert: Suicide creatures sickness with Sprouting Phytohydra
-Radiant, Archangel: Monowhite tribal angels.
-Lady Evangela: (Magic) clerics are great!!!
-Lady Caleria: ARCHER AMBUSH!!!

Find me in cockatrice to play some EDH.

Last edited by Beusapu on 2013-Jul-30 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mono white tribal angels!
AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 7:41 am 

Beusapu wrote:

*But please don't suggest angels, cause i already looked at all the angels with oracle.

But what if there's an angel where someone's like, "Oh man, that's totally the best angel ever, I can't believe he's not running it, what's up with that?" Can we suggest those angels?

What about things that make angels?

Or other cards with angels in the rules text, but not the type, so you might've missed them while you were just searching subtype angels?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 10:22 am 

Adarkar Valkyrie isn't in this deck? I mean, she's one of the best angels in the game. Herald of War also seems like literally a perfect fit here.

Archangel of Strife, Blinding Angel, Chancellor of the Annex, Luminous Angel, Requiem Angel, andRestoration Angel are all awesome angels that you seem to have missed as well.

Cards I dislike:
Serra Avenger: It's nothing but undercosted fat, and not very good fat at that. I don't like Exalted Angel for the same reason, but it is slightly better.

Pariah: First of all, this is not a ramp card. Second, Pariah's Shield is far better, and if you're going to run either, I'd recommend Stuffy Doll.

And some other card suggestions:
Swords to Plowshares: The best creature removal in the game
Path of Exile: Not as good as Swords, but still definitely worth running
Armstice: You've got tons of mana, and you'll probably win most of your games by gen damage. Great card draw
Staff of Nin: Card draw, and can kill off tiny stuff (or just ping an opponent for one) every turn.
Mind Stone: 2 mana rock.
Fellwar Stone: ^
Loxodon Warhammer: Generals like Radiant LOVE trample.
Sword of X and Y: These are AMAZING cards for this kind of deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 5:06 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Adarkar Valkyrie isn't in this deck? I mean, she's one of the best angels in the game. Herald of War also seems like literally a perfect fit here.

Archangel of Strife, Blinding Angel, Chancellor of the Annex, Luminous Angel, Requiem Angel, andRestoration Angel are all awesome angels that you seem to have missed as well.

Cards I dislike:
Serra Avenger: It's nothing but undercosted fat, and not very good fat at that. I don't like Exalted Angel for the same reason, but it is slightly better.

Pariah: First of all, this is not a ramp card. Second, Pariah's Shield is far better, and if you're going to run either, I'd recommend Stuffy Doll.

And some other card suggestions:
Swords to Plowshares: The best creature removal in the game
Path of Exile: Not as good as Swords, but still definitely worth running
Armstice: You've got tons of mana, and you'll probably win most of your games by gen damage. Great card draw
Staff of Nin: Card draw, and can kill off tiny stuff (or just ping an opponent for one) every turn.
Mind Stone: 2 mana rock.
Fellwar Stone: ^
Loxodon Warhammer: Generals like Radiant LOVE trample.
Sword of X and Y: These are AMAZING cards for this kind of deck.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Valyrie is a really good card, and i'll probably add it. For the rest of angels, i think there are better options:
Herald of War is a cool card, but it's too slow and easy to kill. I've tried it and it did almost nothing.
Archangel of Strife was good, but there are many token decks in my meta, so i decided not to help them.
Blinding Angel is out because it's too fragile and difficult to for me, but it could be a reasonable addition
Chancellor of the Annex is too expensive, when i play it my opponents won't really care of its ability.
Luminous Angel is just a super-expensive Emeria Angel, it works only in my upkeep.
Requiem Angel works only against wraths, but it's much better in little creautre decks, i'm only gonna get 2-4 tokens for it's ability.
Restoration Angel, unfortunatelly, can't blink angels.

For the rest of suggestions, Armstice isn't as good as it looks, this deck doesn't get so much mana (usually 9-10), and at that point i'm casting only one angel or two per turn.
Staff of Nin is definitelly gonna make the cut. Great one!
Mind Stone and Fellwar Stone should be in, but i don't know what to cut for them ;)
Loxodon Warhammer is also gonna be in.
For the swords, i've thought about them, and they're obviously good, but i'm not gonna buy them irl, and i'd have to cut angels for them. It's just a personal decision, but they would be probably very good.
I know Pariah isn't a ramp card, it had to go to removal^^. I like it more than Pariah's Shield because its goal in this deck is to put it into an opponent's creature, to avoid being attacked. Anyway, i've decided to cut it for some of the suggested cards.

Last edited by Beusapu on 2013-Jul-24 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-24 5:12 pm 

Kemev wrote:
Beusapu wrote:

But what if there's an angel where someone's like, "Oh man, that's totally the best angel ever, I can't believe he's not running it, what's up with that?" Can we suggest those angels?

What about things that make angels?

Or other cards with angels in the rules text, but not the type, so you might've missed them while you were just searching subtype angels?

Well, i might have missed some "angels matters" card, but the intention was just to prevent people from suggesting cards like Archangel of Strife or Herald of War, because i've already tested them and decided to cut them

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-28 6:39 pm 

More suggestions:

Endless Horizons, Scroll Rack (add in miracles, also handy for land tax), Decree of Justice, Entreat the Angels, Akroma's Memorial (gives trample).

Off-colour removal (vs opponent Iona): All is Dust, Karn, Liberated, Spine of Ish Sah, Oblivion Stone.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-30 11:34 pm 

green slime wrote:
More suggestions:

Endless Horizons, Scroll Rack (add in miracles, also handy for land tax), Decree of Justice, Entreat the Angels, Akroma's Memorial (gives trample).

Off-colour removal (vs opponent Iona): All is Dust, Karn, Liberated, Spine of Ish Sah, Oblivion Stone.

Thanks for the advice. Memorial and Horizons are both very good cards.
The X angel spells are too mana intensive, i've tried them and they aren't very good.
And i don't need removal against iona, cause my meta is quite casual and people don't play iona.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-04 2:40 pm 

I am also working on a tribal deck, although I am building under Gisela. How have you found Door of Destinies? I was looking at it for inclusion myself, but I am worried that it will either sit and collect dust, or it will get blown up when made relevant. How has it been in your experience.

I would also like to recommend True Conviction. I've found that it really helps to make those angels hit hard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-29 4:54 pm 

serrasin wrote:
I am also working on a tribal deck, although I am building under Gisela. How have you found Door of Destinies? I was looking at it for inclusion myself, but I am worried that it will either sit and collect dust, or it will get blown up when made relevant. How has it been in your experience.

I would also like to recommend True Conviction. I've found that it really helps to make those angels hit hard.

For me, Door works pretty well. It usually pumps the angels for 2 or 3, and in a long game it ends being too dangerous (like +5/+5) and someone destroys it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-02 3:42 am 

I used to run a pseudo-tribal (all-flying) with Radiant and it was a lot of fun.

Suggestions:

Expedition Map - you have so many good utility lands
Faith's Reward
Ghostway
Magus of the Moat - not an angel, but damn
Absolute Grace
Absolute Law
Light from Within
Reconnaissance - amazing card

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-03 12:56 am 

This deck looks like loads of fun. I am definitely a fan of tribal decks and Angels are a good one.

I will have to "second" the call for Adarkar Valkyrie and Blinding Angel, they are really, really good!

Also... with the "Angelic" theme, I am surprised there is no...

Angelic Renewal (AMAZING CARD!)
Wrath of God
Day of Judgment
Resurrection

Uril, the Miststalker
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Vhati il-Dal
Eight-and-a-Half Tails EDH
Chainer, Dementia Master

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-03 1:10 am 

I give you props for using Radiant.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-23 6:07 am 

Beusapu wrote:

The Commander:
1 Radiant, Archangel I know there are better angels (Iona, Shield of Emeria, Avacyn, Angel of Hope) and also more flavorful angels (Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Reya Dawnbringer), but i wanted a good beater that didn't make me a "KILL ME" target. Remember, this guy is much better than it looks, cause it counts opponent's flyers too!

Well, in my own personal opinion, I think the name "Radiant, ARCHANGEL" is a better name for a general of an angels themed deck.

Offline Profile