Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-10 1:35 pm

Post subject: Brion Stoutarm - Giant beatings
AgePosted: 2009-Oct-13 8:56 pm 

This is my take on Brion Stoutarm. I usually look to be very aggressive, and tend to focus on destroying one opponent at a time. The deck has a number of synergistic cards, though nothing I would consider a true "combo" - i.e. nothing infinite, but I have processor/stoutarm, hamletback/elemental mastery and so forth.

General:
Brion Stoutarm

Creatures (28):
Serra Ascendant
Figure of Destiny
Student of Warfare
Kargan Dragonlord
Burnished Hart
Mirror Entity
Taurean Mauler
Transcendent Master
Stonecloaker
Hammerheim Deadeye
Obsidian Fireheart
Desolation Giant
Hundred-handed One
Iroas, God of Victory
Giant Harbinger
Thundercloud Shaman
Urabrask the Hidden
Nobilis of War
Stonehewer Giant
Sunrise Sovereign
Jareth, Leonine Titan
Sun Titan
Inferno Titan
Hamletback Goliath
Borderland Behemoth
Serra Avatar
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Bloodfire Colossus

Artifacts (18):
Sol Ring
Wayfarer's Bauble
Relic of Progenitus
Boros Signet
Illusionist's Bracers
Lightning Greaves
Foriysian Totem
Loxodon Warhammer
Darksteel Ingot
Sunforger
Boros Keyrune
Tower of Fortunes
Phyrexian Processor
Seer's Sundial
Well of Lost Dreams
Gilded Lotus
Mind's Eye
Staff of Nin

Enchantments (2):
Marshal's Anthem
Cradle of Vitality

Instants (6):
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Boros Charm
Intimidation Bolt
Crib Swap
Return to Dust

Sorceries (6):
Molten Disaster
Day of Judgment
Wrath of God
Akroma's Vengeance
Austere Command
Insurrection

Planeswalkers (1):
Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Lands (38):
Boros Garrison
Battlefield Forge
New Benalia
Mistveil Plains
Sacred Foundry
Ancient Amphitheater
Rugged Prairie
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Thawing Glaciers
Arid Mesa
Strip Mine
Clifftop Retreat
Slayers' Stronghold
Temple of Triumph
Thespian's Stage
Boros Guildgate
11 Plains
11 Mountain

EDIT: Updated Decklist 02-15-10.
EDIT: Updated Decklist 05-03-10.
EDIT: Updated Decklist 07-20-10.
EDIT: Updated Decklist 08-25-10.
EDIT: Updated Decklist 02-17-14.
EDIT: Updated Decklist 12-15-15.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2015-Dec-14 3:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Brion Stoutarm - Giant beatings
AgePosted: 2009-Oct-14 3:45 am 

First off, I wouldn't run Iron Myr in EDH, there are just too many better accelerators out there, both artifact and non artifact. I suggest Stinkdrinker Daredevil since it makes giants come down a lot sooner. Urza's Incubator also does the same, although it is a global effect, but I don't think that there are many decklists out there that run enough giants to make that much of a drawback.

Personally, I would add Stonehewer Giant and a few other equipment. Whispersilk Cloak makes your giants unblockable which is great, and there's always Jitte, and the Swords to consider. For lands, there's Emeria, the Sky Ruin which you should be able to trigger since you're running a decent amount of plains. Also, if it's available, Plateau and Sacred Foundry

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-14 5:07 am 

Windfall wrote:
I suggest Stinkdrinker Daredevil since it makes giants come down a lot sooner.

HOLY $%!# I DIDN'T ADD STINKDRINKER!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Windfall wrote:
Also, if it's available, Plateau and Sacred Foundry

Sadly, they are not, but they're on the wishlist.
Windfall wrote:
First off, I wouldn't run Iron Myr in EDH, there are just too many better accelerators out there, both artifact and non artifact.

Any suggestions there? I don't have easy access to a Sol Ring or anything like that, and I really want 2cc or less so I can cast my general 3rd turn. (would rather have sol ring and general 2nd turn...)
Windfall wrote:
Personally, I would add Stonehewer Giant and a few other equipment. Whispersilk Cloak makes your giants unblockable which is great, and there's always Jitte, and the Swords to consider.

Didn't have equipment in here until recently, and therefore never wanted the stonehewer. I'll have to see if I can scrape together a good equipment package.
Sky Ruin should make it in as soon as I get another one.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-14 5:33 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Windfall wrote:
Also, if it's available, Plateau and Sacred Foundry

Sadly, they are not, but they're on the wishlist.
I wish you good luck in obtaining copies!

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Windfall wrote:
First off, I wouldn't run Iron Myr in EDH, there are just too many better accelerators out there, both artifact and non artifact.

Any suggestions there? I don't have easy access to a Sol Ring or anything like that, and I really want 2cc or less so I can cast my general 3rd turn. (would rather have sol ring and general 2nd turn...)
A part of my wishes that the RC would just ban Sol Ring so we wouldn't have to worry about finding copies of them. They aren't the most expensive card in the world, but they aren't cheap either. I would prefer to spend my money on standard cards that I need rather than non essential edh singles. Anyways, a turn 2 Brion is probably impossible outside of other 0 cost accelerators like Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox. But there are ton of 2 mana accelerators that do allow for a turn 3 general.

Fellwar Stone
Star Compass
Mind Stone
Prismatic Lens
Guardian Idol
Coldsteel Heart
Marble Diamond
Wayfarer's Bauble

Bauble is nice since it's rampant growth for colorless. I think those are all the 2 cost accelerators that you're not running. Hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-14 6:40 am 

Just doing a quick gatherer search reveals a couple Giants which could find a place in the deck.

Bloodshot Cyclops - Brion is normally better, but the Cylcops can kill creatures also. Mind you, it's not as good as it once was now that Damage no longer stacks, but he's pretty decent on his own.

Impelled Giant - Actually very good. He can really kick Brion's ability into overdrive. Some of the larger Giants, Hamletback Goliath particularly, don't have trample, and Impelled is a great way to do it. And again, probably the best creature you can fling with Brion, other then Borderland Behemoth.

Jareth, Leonin Titan - Cat Giant is still a giant. He's incredibly tough to kill in combat or with removal, and blocks and kills pretty much anything. ABSOLUTELY needs to be in here.

Oathsworn Giant- Extra toughness and Vigilance is pretty nice on huge creatures.

I also second the Stonehewer Giant idea.

My other suggestion would be to add in some white reanimation effects. Breath of Life, Miraculous Recovery, and Resurrection go well with your huge creatures. Miraculous Recovery is especially good since it's an instant (And makes your creature stronger).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Oct-14 9:07 pm 

Iron Myr out, Marble Diamond in.

The_Grey_King1 wrote:
Just doing a quick gatherer search reveals a couple Giants which could find a place in the deck.

Bloodshot Cyclops - Brion is normally better, but the Cylcops can kill creatures also. Mind you, it's not as good as it once was now that Damage no longer stacks, but he's pretty decent on his own.

Impelled Giant - Actually very good. He can really kick Brion's ability into overdrive. Some of the larger Giants, Hamletback Goliath particularly, don't have trample, and Impelled is a great way to do it. And again, probably the best creature you can fling with Brion, other then Borderland Behemoth.

Jareth, Leonin Titan - Cat Giant is still a giant. He's incredibly tough to kill in combat or with removal, and blocks and kills pretty much anything. ABSOLUTELY needs to be in here.

Oathsworn Giant- Extra toughness and Vigilance is pretty nice on huge creatures.

I also second the Stonehewer Giant idea.

My other suggestion would be to add in some white reanimation effects. Breath of Life, Miraculous Recovery, and Resurrection go well with your huge creatures. Miraculous Recovery is especially good since it's an instant (And makes your creature stronger).

Will need to haul out my vast unorganized collection and try to find these.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-03 9:45 am 

Updated list, new cards in OP in bold. Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 7:54 am 

Looking to shoehorn a Sun Titan into this. Any thoughts on what to cut?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 9:41 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Looking to shoehorn a Sun Titan into this. Any thoughts on what to cut?

Maybe the Cloudgoat Ranger, it's a bit underwhelming when you don't have Nobilis of War out, and if the tokens are destroyed it's hard to give him flying.

Since you're running quality one-drops, may I suggest Ranger of Eos and Serra Ascendant? Also, Coldsteel Heart and Fellwar Stone cost two mana and help you accelerate into a turn three Brion Stoutarm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 9:54 am 

rockbard wrote:
Maybe the Cloudgoat Ranger, it's a bit underwhelming when you don't have Nobilis of War out, and if the tokens are destroyed it's hard to give him flying.

Good point. He's on the shortlist.
rockbard wrote:
Since you're running quality one-drops, may I suggest Ranger of Eos and Serra Ascendant? Also, Coldsteel Heart and Fellwar Stone cost two mana and help you accelerate into a turn three Brion Stoutarm.

The ascendant is already there. Ranger might be good, especially given how often the toilet gets flushed around here. Coldsteel Heart seems strictly better than the two diamonds. I'm a little leery of Felwar Stone since it could end up producing only colorless, and I usually need a lot of colored mana, although entering untapped is a plus.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 3:07 pm 

Mmmmmh i like your list :D Tons of ideas for my own Brion deck :)

Missing some sweet cards in there though (although they're no giants :()

Preacher
Why fling your own creatures when you can use your opponent's.

Karmic Guide
Recursion at it's finest

Homura, Human Ascendant
Goes right in your top list of "things-to-fling"

Serra Avatar
TIMMEH!

Weathered Wayfarer
Absolutely love this card. It can be fetched with ranger and can get -any- land.

Solemn Simulacrum
Staple, plus you're using Kiki-jiki.

Stinkdrinker Daredevil
*dreams of:
t1 - mountain, mana crypt, stinkdrinker
t2 - mountain, Inferno Titan*

Inferno Titan
Is a giant :D

Sun Titan
Is a giant too!

Knollspine Dragon
Draws a ton of cards

Some cards to fetch with sunforger
Return to Dust
Crush Underfoot (giant instant, gogo harbinger) :D)

Other cards that are just plain nutty with big creatures:
Waves of Aggression
Savage Beating
Gratuitous Violence

If you have them, additional plains/mountain fetch lands give you some recursion targets for Sun Titan.

And some card draw that is always nice to have
Mind's Eye
Well of Lost Dreams
Sword of Fire and Ice

Cards to cut hmm
Student of Warfare
Figure of Destiny
Transcendant Master
Are they worth the investment?

Felidar Sovereign
This card is just lame and not even a giant :(

Tower of Fortunes
8 mana is quite a lot to activate. Mind's Eye is much cheaper and can draw you more.

Oblivion Ring
Permanent comes back after they deal with it.

Elemental Mastery
Is it worth it besides the obvious interaction with Hamletback? Think Splinter Twin is a better card that pumps Hamlet the same but is usable on a lot of creatures.

Ajani Vengeant
Superb 1v1 card, not so exciting in multiplayer

Chandra Nalaar
Not as good as her blazing counterpart

Bah now i want to make a Brion deck again and stuff it with giants :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 7:54 pm 

Actually the Elemental Mastery is also good with Agrus Kos, Ajani Goldmane, Balefire Liege, and of course, Mirror Entity. Especially M.E. Granted, it's not nearly as absurd as it is in my Uril deck, but I've been happy with it.

Many of your suggestions would already be in here if I could get my hands on them, although Well of Lost Dreams is an excellent idea that I do own and had forgotten about. Now to see if I can find it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 8:04 pm 

Fektoer wrote:
Elemental Mastery
Is it worth it besides the obvious interaction with Hamletback? Think Splinter Twin is a better card that pumps Hamlet the same but is usable on a lot of creatures.

If EM is on Hamletback then it's much better, giving X 1/1s and doubling his P/T, while the Splinter Twin copy will only be 6/6 (doesn't copy the +1/+1 counters).
Of course you can't Fling X 1/1s but they do all have Haste. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-26 10:59 pm 

Looks like this deck might get a hearty makeover thanks to M11. I like the inclusion of the titans and I think this is one of the decks that can best use the red and white ones. Back when I tried out Brion firebreathing was a high prioritized quality that I had for my creatures.

Student of Warfare and Figure of Destiny might not be worth the mana investment but Transcendant Master has the power to be worth the slot.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Jul-27 2:05 am 

Spending 12 mana (+3 for the initial casting) and then seeing someone cast duplicant or swords is not so funny :(

Offline Profile